Thursday, November 5, 2009

New York Times - parenting thoughts

I read this article awhile back and thought it would be interesting for others to read.  You can find it here (it's the top story).  The article is called "For Some Parents, Shouting Is the New Spanking".

The most interesting paragraph in it...
Many in today’s pregnancy-flaunting, soccer-cheering, organic-snack-proffering generation of parents would never spank their children. We congratulate our toddlers for blowing their nose (“Good job!”), we friend our teenagers (literally and virtually), we spend hours teaching our elementary-school offspring how to understand their feelings. But, incongruously and with regularity, this is a generation that yells.
I will say, it made me feel encouraged that we'd read and found helpful Love and Logic.  It's nice to find something that fits you and your family and that you feel good about. Not that it's perfect in any way, but still so helpful.

A friend just wrote this post on explaining things to your 2 year old.  Good read and she now has a follow up post on her blog.  I think it can be such a positive thing to think about our own parenting and to talk to other moms about it (although sometimes it's helpful not to talk about it too :)). 

In other notes: I'm also sharing a great pizza recipe on my Trader Joe's blog today.  Made it with my fresh homemade pesto with basil from my "herb garden"!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I am so interested to read Love and Logic. I bought it almost immediately after I came back from visiting you all at Princeton last year, but then lent the book to a friend. She found it very helpful with her three year old, and she's about to give it back to me this week so that I can finally catch up on all the talk. ;-)
    Thanks for being such a great resource for us all, Jamie!

    ReplyDelete