Sunday, November 1, 2009

And, the bread recipe...

that I talked about in this post.  I meant to post the recipe right after I tried it without sugar.  I changed the recipe twice, but will just put the second one on here (since all I changed on the first is white flour to whole wheat flour).

If you want to make the same bread using sugar, just omit the honey and apple juice and use 1/2 cup sugar instead.

I love this bread because
  1. it tastes so good
  2. it's good for you
  3. I love homemade bread in general
  4. it is so easy (no kneading - although, there are times I love kneading)
I will note that they are both great ways to make this bread, but the one without sugar goes bad faster (I've had to keep it in the fridge so it doesn't go moldy).  Just depends how fast you eat bread.  We go in spurts.

Also note that this is for 2 loaves.  I always cut it in half and just make one loaf at a time.  This is easier to do if you use yeast out of a jar and not packets.  You could always freeze one though.

_____________________________________________
Whole Wheat Bread - modified from More-With-Less Cookbook (pg. 58)
In large mixing bowl combine:
  • 3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup apple juice
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 2 tbsp salt
  • 3 pkg dry yeast
Then, heat the following in a pan on stove top till very warm (120-130 degrees)
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup oil
Add wet ingredients in with the dry as well as 2 eggs

Blend all together (I use a hand mixer or use any mixer) until moist.  Beat with mixer for 3 minutes at medium speed.

Stir 5-6 cups of whole wheat flour in by hand (I usually do half of that with the mixer and then the rest by hand).  Add flour until dough is stiff.  Cover and let rise till double (about 1 hour).  Punch down and put into 2 9x5 bread pans.  Let rise 20-30 minutes.  Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes.

___________________________________________
I hope you enjoy this great bread and that it turns out well for you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment