Monday, April 30, 2012

the church

Never in our lives have we been in a season of going to so many churches.  With a dad as a pastor and a husband doing the same, I've gone where the jobs have taken us.  This has been wonderful.

We have our regular gatherings for The Well, but on Sunday mornings we have visited a variety of churches in this city.

Weeks in, now, I am amazed at the variety, the diversity under the same name - Christian.  I have found it quite beautiful.

There have been weeks where there is loud music and a well known speaker.  Weeks that the music is soft.  One week the guy next to me seemed to be speaking in tongues.  After a second thought, I thought maybe it was Spanish :).  We've sang songs written by musicians everywhere...current ones and some very old.  Sweet reminders that the church is one body...all over the world.

We've been to churches with awkward services and kind people.  We've been prayed over, told of visions that were possible for us, met lots of people.  Our kids have gone into the kids' classes and loved it each time.  We have sang to our God with a host of others all worshiping the same God in this city. 

There is uniqueness to each one.  Each one beautiful in it's way.  Each part of the same body, but with a different function to end in the same goal...that God would be glorified, that we would love Him and love others.

I see now of my dad's love for the church, this has only grown.  It is a wonder.  It can be so clean, so messy, well done, poorly done, it can be hurtful and uplifting...but there is something about the church, the body of Christ.

I look forward to our particular weekly gatherings.  I look forward to how our particular community will evolve...how we will love God and love others along side the other churches here.  I am thankful for this time of wandering in and out of churches...seeing a wider scope of God's body here in Christchurch.  It is a beauty.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Jamie. The Church is still the hope of the world. Your post reminds me of Eph. 1:23: And the church is his body; it is filled by Christ, who fills everything everywhere with his presence.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete