Thankfully a friend was on it this year and is making it happen. What I like about the kind of swap we started is that any group of people can make it happen. It doesn't have to be a group that is in close proximity to each other. The only real commitment is once a month making the meals and gathering to exchange - so easy!
I meant to take pictures while my friend and I cooked, but of course forgot. I really need to get better at remembering to take pictures.
For those who want to know the basic plan we followed...
- We started with 6 families.
- 3 meals were chosen and we divided into groups of 2. Reasons behind this...
- Then you have a couple of people to brainstorm recipe ideas
- You are technically only responsible to make 3 meals (since the pair is making the same meal for 6 total)
- You get to make a new meal (depending on who's recipe you used)
- You can choose to cook with your friend or not - whatever works best
- Each person keeps one of their own dishes and brings 2 others to swap
- Put those meals in the freezer and then you have 3 meals to pull out whenever is most helpful to you!
Some things to think through...
- Allergies and/or strong dislikes to let others know about
- Figuring out a good time/day to swap
- Dishes to use...using your own, using disposables, plastic vs. glass, etc.
Even though it does take some effort - my friend definitely had to plan it out and get the ball rolling - it is also simple in a lot of ways.
I love that you could do this with one friend or a group of friends. Just adding a bit of ease to the rest of your month by cooking a bit extra one day. The ideas from this are endless.