Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Potty Training

So, I was just putting Evee to bed and going to change her diaper. When her diaper was off, she said that she wanted to go peepee. I figured that she just wanted to run around naked for a bit. I asked her if she wanted to go sit on the potty. She said yes. I figured we'd give it a go.

Little side note: We started the potty training process mid December, just to see if it would work, since she was so interested in it at the time. She wasn't quite ready. I was using a little potty chair. In early January, she went poo on the potty since she asked to go.

So, tonight, we went to the toilet and I put her on. She had been hesitant when I've tried this in the past because it's so big. This time she was fine, sat there on her own, and went pee! Anyway, very exciting!

Any thoughts on continuing the process? We are, of course, still visiting family and have a big travel to get back home...so I'll probably wait till we're there (although I planning on asking her every now and then). But, I am excited to get on the process once there!

3 comments:

  1. What finaly worked best with Emorie was to just put her in underwear all the time, so she didn't have a choice. Somedays, if she was too distracted I just kept the underwear off all together. But we were dealing with a 3 and a half year old, you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it sounds like she's definitely getting it and very aware of the routine.

    I learned (years ago :)that it doesn't need to be forced. It eventually comes, for some later than sooner, but someone once reminded me that you never see a kindergartner who hasn't been potty trained.

    If she's anything like her mother, she'll be trained by the time she's two :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Training before 2 used to be the norm. In fact, 95% of all babies in the US were potty trained by 18 months - until disposable diapers came along.

    Children at this age like to imitate, so to help give your daughter a natural incentive, you might want to get a potty training DVD. I especially like the All Aboard the Potty Train DVD that comes in the Baby Signs Potty Training Kit because it shows young children the "script" for the potty-time routine.
    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete