Monday, October 20, 2008

Interview with a mom who works from home

Our interview this week is with Heather from Mom 4 Life! I'm excited to give you another great interview about women doing different things in a variety of different stages of life! Please find more information about Heather at the end of the interview.

What made you decide to work from home?
My husband and I had planned for me to stay at home after we had kids. After I gave birth to our first child, I decided it would be nice to do something form home that could help out finacially. Mom 4 Life started out mostly as a desire to contribute to the family and do something that I could be passionate about (helping other moms).

How do you schedule your days so that you are able to get work done as well as be a mom?
This is a constant struggle for me because I love what I do as a mom and as a business owner. Even when I am not “working” I am often thinking about workJ! Ideally, I work a little in the morning while my kids watch a show on TV and then I get a chunk of work done in the afternoon while my daughter naps and my son is at school and then I do a little before I go to bed at night.

How did you know that this was the best option for your family?
I realized that Mom 4 Life was something that I would continue to be passionate about long term so I knew I could justify the time that would be invested into it. I also realized that in working from home, I was able to be in a unique position to parent my children in the way we had planned, while also reaching some unique personal goals at the same time.

Do you struggle feeling like you're a bit isolated? If not, what helps you/keeps you interacting with other moms?
This is not a struggle for me personally because I continue to be active with moms in face to face ways such as play dates and MOPS as well as online relationships via email and instant messenger. I also have employees that work form our property and get to interact with them on a daily basis which is also a lot of fun.


When do you work? What times are you most productive?

When my kids are sleeping I am most productive (read: no interruptions). Therefore I try to do most of my work during nap time or after they go to bed although there are times I am working a bit here and there throughout the day.


What do you do with your children while you work?

This is the first year that our oldest is in Kindergarten. He attends in the afternoon everyday. This has created a nice block of time for me to work while our daughter naps. Until this year I simply had to work in shorter pockets of time (from my lap top on the kitchen table) when the kids were playing happily or napping or watching a show or after my husband was off work. My work time is now more scheduled and I appreciate the consistency that provides.


What encouragement can you give to moms who are trying to start their own business or do outside work within their home?

I was asked this a while back and when I started to reply I found I had several thoughts on the subject so I wrote an article on it. You can find it here:
http://www.mom4life.com/articles.php?article=66


Heather Ledeboer is a mom of two and owner of Mom 4 Life, a website that offers 100% mom invented products for mothers and babies. She is passionate about supporting women in business and loves the topic of business development.

1 comment:

  1. Loved this interview. I've been on Heather's site and love what she has to offer, not in only in merchandise, but from her heart.

    ReplyDelete