Thursday, August 7, 2008

What is peace, really?

On a personal note...currently our lives seem a bit unknown and sometimes crazy. Our family has been traveling since the middle/end of May and have been on a journey of transition longer than that. Even though things will settle down (we hope!) in the next month as we move to New Jersey, there is still so much that is unknown and has to be settled.

Last night, I was praying as I fell asleep - "The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not be in want..." I stopped right there and knew such peace. I am NOT the Shepherd. I am a sheep. What do sheep do? They listen to the voice of the Shepherd and follow. Ultimately, I am not in control. Ultimately, while being responsible with what is at hand and what we've been given, my role is to listen, follow, and obey. That, I believe, is true peace. Trusting in God...knowing that you are following His voice and His lead.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice." John 10:4-5

"...He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul..."
Psalm 23:2&3

3 comments:

  1. Just yesterday I pulled Elisabeth Elliot's book of my shelf... These Strange Ashes (a book you gave me several years ago). In her epilogue, she writes, "God makes no mistakes. He does not fall asleep. He does not forget His loved children. He asks us, every day, no matter what circumstances or adversaries we find ourselves in, to trust and obey."

    THAT'S our Shepherd!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there!
    Thanks for visiting my blog today and for the comment. I like Grace and Renee too. They're pretty darn ok in my book. ;)

    Have a great rest of the weekend!
    -bm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just doing the best with what is in our hands and trusting...that is a peaceful picture. Thanks for this.

    Love,
    Renee

    ReplyDelete