Monday, May 28, 2012

a chart


So many times we expect Evee (and probably Iris) to act a certain way, to engage with people the way that we want them to, to listen and obey.

Lately I've been thinking about what it means to teach them.  I go in rhythms where I seemingly forget this.  Not simply expecting certain behaviors from her, but the meaning and lessons that are behind those behaviors.

I know this is nothing profound (though this reminder has been for me), but it's been on my mind a lot.

For us, we are working on simple things, like smiling and saying hello when meeting someone for the first time (or for the 100th time).  To not interrupt, to say goodbye to a friend without breaking down with sadness, to be grateful for the time we had together...

And big things.  Telling the truth and not taking things that aren't ours.
I love that behind this is love, kindness, gratitude.

I'm reminded that we are to impress loving God and loving others on our children.  We must model it, we must talk about it.  May it be deep inside of us so that we naturally teach it to them.

And so we strive to do just that, we pray and we create a chart.  Rewarding smiles and "hellos" and gentle goodbyes.

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of this verse: "We will not hide these truths from our children; we will tell the next generation about the glorious deeds of the LORD, about his power and his mighty wonders. So the next generation might know them – even the children not yet born – and they in turn will teach their own children. So each generation should set its hope anew on God, not forgetting his glorious miracles and obeying his commands."

    This is my hope and prayer!

    ReplyDelete