Thursday, April 28, 2011

let love invade

I've been thinking a lot about love of late.  Wanting my eyes to be open, to see love where it already is.  And in the process to love more intentionally myself.

How do we see love though?  Even though we know it, it is often intangible and even confusing at times.  Unloving motives can still produce good.  And small acts, that don't produce much of anything, may happen with great love.

In a world of personality conflicts, rushing around, busyness, small annoyances, major problems, pain, suffering, grief...where is love?  What does it look like?  How do we become those who choose to love?

And yet I know that love is "the most excellent way".  It is how we "set our hearts at rest".  And it's "the only thing that counts".  It is the very crux of faith in God.
(1 Corinthians 13, 1 John 2, Galatians 5)

So, I ponder love.

I think of small acts.  A door opened for me.  A smile from a stranger.  Understanding from a commuter next to me.  It is someone sharing pain.  Someone sharing joy.  Help within a task.  A listening ear.  A hard, truthful word.

Love is a thought, a motive, an action.  Sometimes seemingly insignificant, other times not.

And I think of what it means to love.  Not forced love, because who wants that?  But a start at intentional love.  An opening of my eyes.  A gentleness to my words.  A quickness with my ears.  A fearlessness to say what needs to be said.  A kind action.

In this desire, my hope is to share one thing a week, something I intend to do.  A small, small act of kindness...an awareness for the week.  Maybe we can think about this together.

Please keep any expectations low.  The goal is simply to be aware...seeing love and being apart of it...even if a very small part.  That is just fine, for it is still love.

And the final beauty, no matter what these lessons in love end up looking like, is this...
Love never fails.  It truly is the most excellent way.
"Let love invade you.  It will never fail to teach you what you must do.  It is love that justifies our actions.  Love must initiate all we do."     - Carlo Caretto

No comments:

Post a Comment