Tuesday, February 15, 2011

people watching

We sat down to eat some lunch.  The bulk of our conversation consisted around the fact that Evee and I were sharing our dishes with each other.  Looking around, I took notice.  Sometimes I can't help myself. 

Two women were sitting at the table next to us.  One woman talked the whole 20 minutes we were there.  The other got a dozen words in (maybe).  She seemed to listen politely.  I wondered if this was how their times together usually flow or if this was abnormal.  There was a little booklet in front of the one talking.  It said "blah, blah, blah".  I kid you not.  I don't know why I was so nosy to look, but I'm kind of glad I did. :)  The irony.

The women had coffee cups in front of them.  The one (who was talking) suggested they get lunch, she was starved.  The other tried to confirm that, didn't she (the talker) have a hair appointment.  No, it had been canceled.  We saw them back in line when we left.

A guy sat at another table.  He was maybe around my age.  He looked relaxed.  He was reading a magazine.  For some reason this made me happy.  I was oddly happy that he was looking at words on paper verses using some kind of technology.

Besides the little girl that Evee made mention of a few times (what she was wearing, that she had a baby too, and that she was another girl), there were two elderly couples within our scope of vision.  One by the window, the other on the far side.  Neither couple talked much.  One seemed quite comfortable with each other while the other not so much. 

Maybe it's silly or a bit too nosy, but I do take notice and wonder.  I find people fascinating...who we are and how we've evolved into the people we are....the story within each of us...the fact that we and the world around us are in process of writing the story, right now.  Really, it's quite interesting.

I guess you never know who you're sitting next to.  It might just be some random woman who's wondering about your life and conversation :). 

No comments:

Post a Comment