Monday, February 7, 2011

i'm hoping

I'm hoping it's the small things that matter, since its the small things that I can do.  If I wait around for the big stuff, that day may never come (and if it comes may not matter as much as I imagined it to).

The big problems of the world - starvation, human trafficking, poverty, clean water, and others - can seem so overwhelming...it's hard to know where to start.

I recently got 2 books that are helping me in my small "bettering our family, bettering the world" endeavor :). 

The first is a reminder of the responsibility it is to feed my family responsibly.  It's a simple cookbook called Feeding the Whole Family: Cooking with Whole Foods.

There have been many good reminders as I've gone through the book.  We've started trying some of the recipes...adding to my list of homemade regulars each week.  This week it was bread, yogurt, granola and hummus.

The second book is called The Better World Shopping Guide: Every Dollar Makes a Difference.

This has been a fascinating book to look through.  It "grades" different companies based on how they are in the areas of human rights, the environment, animal protection, community involvement and social justice.  Its an incredibly practical way to support companies that are doing good.

These are incredibly small things, I know.  Our little family choosing to purchase and cook intentionally.  But still, I'm hoping it will somehow have an impact.  It is something.

No comments:

Post a Comment