Tuesday, March 1, 2011

(dinner) for now

I've realized that I regularly get caught on one thing.  It could be an idea, a project, music, whatever.  I will want that one thing and do/have it so much I might not want it again for months.  This might be a family thing.  Just saying... :)

Last month, when I wanted a particular salad (red lettuce, goat cheese, cranberries, walnuts, and homemade balsamic vinaigrette) for the 5th day in a row, I started thinking about this.  My taste buds must go in cycles.  During pregnancy it is normal you'd have cravings.  I realized that I have this all the time.  (remember that amazing cake?  I think that ran it's course...)

For awhile, it was that salad (definitely worth trying!).  Now it's a Mexican dish a friend made for us almost a year ago.  I ran into the recipe again and gave it a try.  Now I'll be bringing it to friends with new babes this month and (I'm sure) making it enough to take a few months off after this one (though it might just move into a steady rotation). 

She wasn't sure where she got the recipe from, but also wouldn't take credit for it.  Can I share it here, then?  I'm sure there are many variations of this...

Mexican Lasagna
Ingredients
  • 1 (15-ounce) can pinto, pink or black beans, drained and rinsed 


  • 1 (14-ounce) can diced crushed tomatoes 


  • 1/4 C. chopped cilantro 
  • 

1 clove finely minced garlic 


  • 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles 
  • 

2 C. frozen corn kernels, thawed
  • 

2 scallions, minced 


  • 1/2 t. ground cumin 
  • 

1/2 t. dried oregano 


  • 8 corn tortillas 


  • 1 1/2 C. grated Monterey Jack cheese
  • 

sour cream, optional 

(not for us! :))
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400°F. 

In a large mixing bowl, combine beans, tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, chilies, corn, scallions, cumin and oregano; mix thoroughly. Line a 9x13 baking dish with 4 tortillas, overlapping if necessary. Spread half of bean mixture in a layer over tortillas. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Repeat with remaining tortillas, beans and cheese. 

Bake 20 - 25 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly. Let stand 1 or 2 minutes, then cut into squares to serve. Top each serving with a dollop sour cream if desired. 

Makes 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment