Saturday, November 13, 2010

my birthday

I realize that Evee is very excited about my birthday
I want to make sure she feels included
so we bake a cake the evening before
it's chocolate ganache and I think of Jayne
Evee can hold a hand held mixer by herself and I'm amazed
but we only use that to make real whipped cream
we use my mom's mixer and her pans for the cake
3 generations, using that mixer
I blow out a candle while Clint sings and Evee smiles shyly, even though its just us
friends come and eat cake with us
it's good cake...if I can say so

I sleep in
wake up (fully) and I'm holding Iris' hand
Clint comes in with cards and a kiss
Evee shows me the card she made
it mostly tells me what she did that morning while I slept
she asks if today is my birthday
yeah
she tells Iris that today is my birthday, in the high pitched voice she always talks to Iris in
we head downtown
I eat breakfast with Evee and Iris and am amazed that these 2 are mine
my birthday is full of coffee and crafting/reading in the kids' section of the library

Clint and I go out for dinner
we've looked forward to it all week
it's been awhile since we'd had a 'real' date
we have free childcare and almost a free dinner thanks to a sweet friend
we drink wine and dream together
he makes me laugh and I think, I'm so lucky

He organized a brunch with friends
I love breakfast out
I love these friends
and there are so many people, so many places that I miss
He wrote them and reminded them it was my birthday so they wouldn't forget
so I got texts and emails and phone calls throughout the day
and I am so thankful

it was a beautiful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment