I'm so excited to be sharing the answers to the series of interviews I started within the last 2 weeks. I hope you enjoy!
The first is with Barb Myers. Here's a bit about her and the then the answers to the questions I asked. I have found them to be very helpful and true! Thanks so much Barb for your great answers!!!
(Jamie) What is your best organizing tip?
(Barb) Keep things where you use them. Everyday items need to be everyday
accessible. Once a year items need to be labeled and tucked in a basement
Do you find that organization has a lot to do with simplifying your life? How?
(Barb) Organizing is all about getting rid of the clutter in your life and making
your life easier. As you get rid of the excesses in your world you'll find
that life does become simpler. Clutter brings chaos. With organization
How do you manage to organize and simplify during the extremely busy seasons of life?
(Barb) The busy seasons are when it's most important to be organized. If you're
not already organized and a busy season of life hits, it's time to focus on
the most important aspects of your life that need to be organized such as
meal planning, clothing and bill paying.
What are the best ways to go about organizing with small children in the house (with all their toys and stuff)?
(Barb) Talk about a busy season in anyone's life! This is the time to teach your
kids how to organize by setting a good example. Sort toys into categories
and place in open, clear bins with labels on them. Show them how to put
their things away at the end of the day. Move a clothing bar closer to the
floor so your child can reach it. Put a lidless hamper in their closet and
show them how to use it.
What is the most important step for a person who is just starting to organize?
(Barb) A person just starting to organize should focus on sorting like items into
piles and putting them wherever they are used. Make a plan to organize these
items in that area and do it. Start with a small area and move on from
there. Try not to get overwhelmed by trying to organize your entire home in
one day (or even one month).
Do you think being organized helps a person save money? How?
(Barb) There are so many reasons that being organized helps a person save money.
Here are a few:
- An organized person pays their bills on time and avoids late fees.
- An organized family plans their meals to avoid eating out.
- An organized person saves receipts so they can easily return an item if necessary.
- An organized person saves tax-related receipts to save money on their taxes.
- An organized family uses coupons and stocks up during sales to save money.
- An organized family has a pantry set up in their home to allow them to buy in bulk/during sales so they can save money.
- An organized person knows what they own and where to find it so they avoid buying duplicate items.