Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Interesting info for handmade/hand-me-down users

Update: Another good article to read is this one.
------------------------------------------------------

So, I'd been hearing about this more and more and thought I'd pass it along and see if any of you know more or had been hearing stuff as well...

CPSIA - Consumer Product & Safety & Improvement Act

If I'm right in my understanding, CPSIA is making changes on handmade items that are sold as well as second hand clothes and toys. Some places I've read make it sound like it will be impossible to sell those items if they have not been tested for stuff (like lead, for example). So, think about how that might affect places like etsy.com, goodwill, craft fairs, etc.!!! Pretty crazy.

If you'd like to read more, there is helpful information here with some ideas of what you can do. If anyone has further information, I'd be very interested to hear it!

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting article. I had not heard this interpretation of the new law before.

    I checked out the Consumer Product Safety Commission's Web site, where they published an article to clarify some details on this new law.

    http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09086.html

    For the used market, they specifically state that "Sellers of used children’s products, such as thrift stores and consignment stores, are not required to certify that those products meet the new standards."

    Also, resellers are not required to test their products, but could face criminal charges if they sell something that does not comply.

    The big impact will be on small and homemade products. It may become too risky for places like etsy.com to continue operating.

    Thanks for bring

    ReplyDelete